Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Ruins of Detroit

Classroom, St Margaret Mary School
(all images from their website)
Fisher Body Plant 
Room 1504, Lee Plaza Hotel
United Artists Theatre
You've noticed: every now and again we do a side-step in the domain of art or music. This time, I'm probably taking more a side-leap by turning to photography and architecture with the work of Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre. 
I'd read an article on them over the summer, had been breath-taken & made a mental note, which I inevitably proceeded to rapidly forget all about, until I came across them again on the internet a few days ago.
Their work (which can be found in print & on their website) consists of photos depicting some of Detroit's many delapidated buildings. I find this collection absolutely mesmerising in the manner Marchand & Meffre manage to reveal the beauty of the ruins: the photographs not only capture the vestiges of Detroit's former glory but also hint at the personal lives that belonged to that era.  I reckon few people could give quite such sensitive a portrayal of the beauty held within the flaking, crumbling, disintegrating walls of a city.


Ginger



7 comments:

  1. Stunning pictures...I've never heard anything about them, I check the website. Thanks for share!
    xoxo
    Alessandro - www.thefashioncommentator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful pics, U have made them?
    I follow u, follow me please
    And I ask you if follow me also here because my google give me a problems :((
    BLOGLOVIN

    ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

    kiss
    Erika
    My Free Choice

    ReplyDelete
  3. :o wow! great pictures and places!!!

    .Sofía.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible imagery...my first inclination was completely drawn to the gorgeous lines of the original space...beautiful architecture frames the decrepit building..but nothing can hide its true bones! Amazing...

    xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

    Haute Khuuture.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful places
    follow each other?

    lesimple.sk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos! Really enjoying your blog and am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete