Thursday, April 7, 2011

Beyond Warhol's Prints

Andy Warhol's work won't lose its popular appeal for a while, especially as it is still so pertinent and relevant to contemporary culture. Behind the commercial success, however, lies a mountain of unexplored work, notably in his collection of some 2500 videos, of which some 600 films. His videos are relatively unknown, some famous few caught the attention of art critics, such as his famous Sleep (1963), but the majority of these works are still undiscovered. Some pieces are scattered around youtube, but as usual authenticity is difficult to discern.


His videos and films mainly concentrate on his career at his Factory, on 231 East 47th Street, and capture all sorts of happenings, from David Bowie coming to The Factory or simply his entourage going through every day actions, like eating.


The Kiss, 1963
The diversity of subjects and the combination of different art forms really focuses on Warhol’s all-encompassing career: his involvement in the arts, fashion, music, television is central to his work in his videos, which makes them all the more interesting
I’ve collected a few of the videos that caught my attention and thrown in a few stills – suffice to say that there is a lot more out there: his influence in later video based art is evident, and bares strong similarities to what are considered as avant-garde video works nowadays. The attention that these videos have had will be, no doubt, increasing in the next few years as they become better documented.


The Velvet Underground, Nico & Andy Warhol - Exploding Plastic Inevitable

Patrick

19 comments:

  1. I did a little write up about Andy when I was studying fashion/art..as a major icon it wasn't hard to pick him, thanks for the picks and the post..brought back some nice memories of wearing multi printed t-shirt with a version of Marilyn Monroe..xx V

    ReplyDelete
  2. one, you are gorgeous and i love that long maxi skirt and the wedges from your last post. two, andy is so timeless bc his style is so identifiable. he stands out and thats why its so great. thanks for reminding me.

    im following, hope you do too :)

    xoxo
    FAKE EMPIRE

    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/2339092/fake-empire

    http://sararomerosararomero.blogspot.com

    http://lookbook.nu/sararomero

    http://www.etsy.com/SHOP/TEAANDTULIPS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Refreshing to read a blog that focuses on more than shots of products! And embrace the ginger, it's beautiful (naturally too!)

    http://calypsoletters.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who doesn't love Andy Warhol???
    The pictures are gorgeous. <33

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  5. <3 andy warhol, I think its awesome you decided to pull this all together :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, a brilliant post. I'm so glad it was most than just a collection of pretty pictures and "I love Warhol!"

    TheQueenofHearts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing these videos! I haven't seen them! You have a talent for writing! xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen any of his films, I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These Warhol prints are innnncredible! I've never seen these before! Gotta check out his films too! What a super cool post babe!

    xoAdvice From A Caterpillar Store

    www.adviceABCD.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andy Warhol. What a timeless icon. I really enjoyed reading your insight too. Have you seen the movie 'Factory Girl'? I'm in love with Edie Sedgwick. One of my all time favorites.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving your warhol post...cool! I loved sienna miller as edie in factory girl! how about following each other? xo Lisa from Sweeite

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I've never had the pleasure of seeing his films. I will have to check them out. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're in love with your blog :) and the photos are incredible ^^
    follow us http://thefashionalbum.blogspot.com/
    good luck with the blog, from Spain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it, keep the inspiration flowing!
    and come visit COSMICaroline for the 4-part, in-depth series on Nashville Fashion Week!

    -COSMICaroline
    www.COSMICaroline.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so mind bending to even begin to imagine all of those undiscovered productions, it makes my head spin!

    Oh honey I am SO glad I found your blog, I'm in love! Shall we follow each other? :)
    http://itsthedollhousebaby.blogspot.com/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely post, those are so cute!
    Just found out about your blog, maybe we could follow eachother? I'm following you :)

    xx.Emilija

    www.fashionablydrugged.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how you write! andy is my good haha!

    ReplyDelete