Saturday, October 30, 2010

Designer Baby



Last time I was in Paris I did a spot of window shopping & was astounded at how many designer childrenswear shops there were. It wasn’t something I’d ever contemplated before, and I’m not going to lie: it’s not something I entirely approve of.
I’m aware that fashion is not just about clothes, that there is a whole financial dimension attached to it, and I do accept that, but are designer clothes for children not just pushing things a bit far? Do toddlers really need to have Gaultier tights?
I consider my knowledge & passion of fashion, as well as the development of my own style as a personal achievement: it is something I have grown into, something I have gradually learnt through trial and error. For that reason I think people are depriving children of the pleasure of discovering fashion and coming into it by themselves. I’m not saying children should be excluded from fashion, but I think it’s something they should be able to admire their parents or other adults for first.
It’s sad that those children will never experience the real thrill of buying their FIRST EVER designer item, if they’ve been dressed in it since the cradle.
But, if the industry dictates, so be it.
Ginger

6 comments:

  1. You have got to be kidding me. It's cute but disturbing. I had hand-me-downs as a child. I mean, I'm a total diva now, but that isn't the point.
    xoxo.

    http://glamkittenslitterbox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think wearing silly clothes is part of being a kid.. otherwise its' too processed.

    www.morningcloak.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's healthy for a kid to be obssessed with designer brands at so early an age! But I do love daydreaming about dressing up my future kids :-) xoxoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, that's so cute!

    Puck // oneofpoints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw too cute!
    x funkydoris.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete